History

Campbeltown Town Hall has been at the heart of the Campbeltown community since 1760. Throughout that 250 years, it has been variously used as a courtroom, a prison, council chambers, registrar’s office, polling station, election hall, dance hall, concert venue and exhibition space etc.

The hall has also enjoyed the continual patronage of a multitude of local groups and individuals for a diverse range of social and fundraising activities including e.g. youth clubs, sports clubs, and parent/children groups and for the traditional Saturday Coffee Morning which brought the community together to raise money for local charities and other good causes.

As the years passed, the building sadly fell into disuse, suffering from a lack of adequate repair and maintenance. In 2009, Argyll & Bute Council’s Property Dept proposed mothballing the building as a budget saving.

However, as the building had been identified as a key target building with the Campbeltown Townscape Heritage Initiative (THI), the mothballing was put on hold until a viable solution could be found.

The Campbeltown based South Kintyre Development Trust agreed to acquire the building on behalf of the local community and to seek the necessary funding to redevelop the building and bring it back into full public use.

South Kintyre Development Trust succeeded in acquiring over £2M of funding from The Big Lottery, THI, CHORD and Historic Scotland to secure the future of Campbeltown Town Hall, allowing the Trust to renovate the building and reopen it as a multi-purpose facility and focal point for community activities.

Following the works, the Town Hall reopened in 2016 and has since cemented its position in the local community as a popular venue for all manner of community and corporate events.

error: Content is copyright Campbeltown Town Hall !!
%d bloggers like this: