Ignavis Precibus Fortuna Repugnat
We are very pleased to unveil the newly painted coat of arms on the Town Hall. Expertly finished by Nicola McFadyen
Our thanks to Nicola and also to Alex McKinven and the Feather’s Inn Quiz Group for Local Charities, who donated the necessary funds to have this important work done, also to Taylor and Wishart Scaffolding for donating the scaffolding. We are very grateful for the support.
To quote Alex;
” …It will be great to see it restored – a coat of arms and motto to be proud of and, an accurate representation of who we are as a community given our struggle to survive economically after the halcyon years of the 19th century.”
The Seal of the Burgh of Campbeltown is as follows: A shield divided into four. In the first quarter a castle; the second quarter gyronny of eight; the third quarter a lymphad, with sail furled and oars in action; and in the fourth quarter a fret.
Beneath is the motto, “Ignavis Precibus Fortuna Repugnat,” The motto has been translated with a few meanings; One version has it as “Fate is deaf to idle prayers” another shows it as “Fortune spurns the prayers of cowards” generally it is known as “Fortune helps those who help themselves”.
The castle represents the old castle of Campbeltown, the site of which is now occupied by a converted parish church, which was built in 1780. The gyronny of eight is the armorial bearings of the Clan Campbell.
The arms were officially granted on July 10, 1929.
Campbeltown was created a Burgh of Barony in 1667 in favour of Archibald, 9th Earl of Argyll, and was raised to a Royal Burgh by King William III in 1700.
Interestingly, the ‘Argyll’ and ‘Atlantic’ engines of the Campbeltown and Machrihanish Light Railway Company were both given the coat of arms. The company used the coat of arms surrounded by a white ring with the full company name as their logo.